IHO has as one of her objectives to carry out community outreach within communities. The study was aimed at finding out if truly the rate of teenage pregnancy is very high in this community and the possible reasons why. Teenagers as well as parents were interviewed as they shared their reasons as to why many young girls in this locality give birth as teenagers. Some of the reasons included;
- Lack of knowledge/proper use of contraceptives
- No jobs
- Insufficient funds to go to school
A total of 100 participants were interviewed and 64% confirmed that teenage pregnancy is indeed a problem in the community.
Some of the inhabitants were not interviewed because they had gone to the farms and their job sites which why we are planning another trip back to Tole to complete the great work we have started. We intend to:
- Carryout a health education talk on the dangers of teenage pregnancies, sexually transmitted infections.
- Teach the youths especially, on the importance of contraceptives; and the various methods of family planning.
- Distribute chicks to selected persons in the community and teach them how to grow them and use them as a source of income.
- Carryout women empowerment workshops (training such as how to make hand beads, craft work etc).